|Courtesy: Photo Division|
The Swachh Bharat-Swachh Vidyalaya campaign began on 25th September, 2014 and will last for a month till 31st October 2014. The Union Minister used a broom and a shovel to clean the ground of the school. While addressing the teachers and the students of the school the Minister appealed to everyone to become a part of this campaign and contribute their efforts to make the drive a big success. The campaign is a prelude to the launch of this Abhiyan formally by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi on 2nd of October 2014.
The HRD Ministry had earlier decided to initiate Swachh Vidyalaya campaign from 25th September, 2014 in Kendriya Vidyalays and Navodaya Vidyalya Sangathans. The Kendriya Vidyalayas and Navodaya Vidyalya Sangathans would take up various activities under the cleanliness drive in schools.
The Kendriya Vidyalays and Navodaya Vidyalya Sangathans would take up the following activities:
• Talk in the school assembly by a few children on different aspects of cleanliness every day especially with regard to the teachings of Mahatma Gandhi, on cleanliness & hygiene.
• Cleaning of the class rooms, laboratories, libraries etc.
• Cleaning of any statue installed in the school and a talk on the contribution of the person whose statue is installed in the school.
• Cleaning of toilets and drinking water areas.
• Cleaning of kitchen sheds stores etc.
• Cleaning of playgrounds.
• Cleaning and maintenance of school gardens.
• Annual maintenance of the school buildings including white wash and painting
• Organise essay, debates, painting, competitions on cleanliness and hygiene.
• Constitution of Childrens’ Cabinets to supervise and monitor cleanliness drive.
In addition, the schools will organise film, shows, model activities on hygiene, essay/painting and other competitions, role plays etc. to reiterate the messages of cleanliness, good hygiene and proper sanitation. The Ministry also proposes to introduce half an hour cleaning campaign twice a week in the school involving students, teachers, parents and community members.
The CBSE has already issued advisories to the schools affiliated with it and take up Swachh Bharat Swachh Vidyalaya Abhiyan.
The CBSE has also been advised to set up questions on cleanliness, hygiene and environment in the examinations conducted by them.
CBSE will organise an essay competition on the themes of cleanliness, Bapu’s views on cleanliness etc. The competition would open on 2nd October, 2014. The winners would be felicitated on 31st October, 2014.
The other states in the country also have been requested to take up a similar programme that is being taken up in the Kendriya Vidyalayas and Navodya Vidyalaya Sangathans in schools in order to inculcate the spirit of hygiene, cleanliness and aversion to unhygienic conditions in our children from the initial years of schooling itself. The State Governments would initiate construction of toilets in 25000 schools on 2nd October under the Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA) and Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan (RMSA).